Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Certainly, I can relate

Though the latest Win this Autograph contest featuring this puck signed by Minnesota's Mikko Koivu drew six respectable entries, it took bonus points awarded for mentioning Gump Worsley to make Hound Central 4.0 reader Ryan Heighton of Peterborough, Ontario, Canada, the winner of December's contest.

Here's excerpts from his comical story:

"My Dad was the one that first got me into graphing, and when I was 7 he took me to a card show in southwestern Ontario. We were going to see a few ex-North Star players (I was a big fan at the time because they had just had the Stanley Cup run vs. the Pens).

"We were walking around, waiting for them to announce that the autograph tables were set up, and I turn around and see the Gumper, and I was so excited that I yelled at the top of my lungs 'THERE'S GUMMPPPPP!!'

"Ninety percent of the people at the show turned and looked at me, and I don't know if my Dad was ever more embarrassed, but the Gumper was really cool about it and shook my hand and chatted with my Dad and I!"

Thanks to quick communication, the puck has been mailed, at my expense, as a reward for his story. Thanks again, Ryan, for reading.

Don't forget, too, to check out January's contest for Islanders legend and Hall of Famer Denis Potvin. All you need to do is tell me, in 100 words or less, what you'd do with your day with the Stanley Cup.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gump....thats awesome....I used to have his card.....one of my faves....no mask...last of his kind.

R. Heighton said...

Thanks again for the puck, I'm so excited!