Thursday, March 12, 2009

Seeing doubles

Most years, I pick up two boxes of Rookie Class, Upper Deck's annual 50-card honoring of the NHL's latest stars-in-the-making. I'd put one set away and work the other through hounding opportunities. Given the economy, I wanted to buy just one set. That didn't happen.

The 2008-09 release, which I found at my local Target, had a little surprise inside it this season -- doubles. That's right, doubles. Though the box said a 50-card set, I picked up a few duplicates. I'm not the only one who has come up a card or two short of a full set.

While I certainly won't complain when a hobby box is stacked in my favor with, say, 85 Young Guns, I believe contents should deliver what's been promised.

To me, the term "box set" implies totality. A reasonable person should expect all 50 cards that make up the set.

Just like I got when I bought a second box.

At the least, they could have been of Tampa Bay's Steven Stamkos, Columbus' Steve Mason or Boston's Blake Wheeler. Nope, mine were Detroit's Darren Helm and Carolina's Brandon Sutter.

Bottom line, and that's what it's all about with Rookie Class, this is a must-have for any hockey hound. It'll be fun set to chase down.

No comments: