Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy


For the most part, I try to give NHL players -- especially the veterans -- the benefit of a doubt when it comes to the quality of their autograph. Over the course of a player's career, it's not unreasonable to guess they'll easily sign thousands of autographs.

What I can't understand, though, is some of today's younger players and the assorted scribbles and squiggles that somehow are supposed to represent their name.

Take these two pieces signed by Toronto's rookie defenseman Luke Schenn, the fifth overall pick in the 2008 draft. You're telling me either one says Luke Schenn? Sorry, buddy, but I don't think so.

In fact, our cat Bella could do a better job with a paint pen.

Now, I don't expect a letter-perfect autograph from each and every NHL player. But, a little differentiation between a first and last name would be appreciated. I don't think it's too much to ask, is it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"In fact, our cat Bella could do a better job with a paint pen."

Now there's a digital photo I'd like to see posted on your blog.

Still a nice item to have in your collection.

Brett

Puckhound said...

I'll see what I can do. She's pretty tempermental.

bfyler said...

I know how you feel I saw what a crappy sig he was giving in Boston so I asked him to personalize it to me he said sure and gave me a nicer graph. Still not what it used to be but better than that. Pucks are harder to personalize and as a rookie come on Luke your a defenseman who in 5 years wont be signing nearly as much.

kc said...

Hey I got my Schenn puck back today, same deal. He is a home town boy though, I gave him a pass. And my cat too gives a nicer graph!