Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Good call, if I do say so myself

On a day when the goal was to load up a Lightning jersey with autographs, putting a card book for the visiting Pittsburgh Penguins in my hounding bag was an afterthought. After all, the Penguins' big names -- Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury -- weren't making the trip.

But as we stood outside the player's entrance at the St. Pete Times Forum, waiting on Lightning players to sign a jersey for my buddy Gus' bride, it became readily apparent that bringing along that book was a smart move.

While some boarded the team's bus after a morning skate, two players -- defenseman Kristopher Letang and goalie Dany Sabourin -- decided to walk back to the team's hotel.

Though I'd seldom brag about getting three autographs, it does show how preparation for any hockey hounding trip can work to your advantage. And, like I always say, one's better than none.

Even better, all three cards came from specialized sets.

No comments: