Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Review: 2008-09 UD Masterpieces

After hearing some positive feedback about the 2008-09 Upper Deck Masterpieces Hockey product, I figured I better take a closer look at the first niche product of the season.

Rather than buy a box, though, I opted for a few packs. To be honest, I only needed just one pack to confirm my initial opinion -- they're not worth buying.

While I agree that these cards, which depict some of the game's greatest players in detailed paintings, are nice-looking and Sharpie-ready, a super-short checklist means they offer little value for in-person hockey hounding.

Granted, they're perfect for old-school TTM projects or Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, but beyond that, I don't see any bang for the buck. This product is better suited for old-schoolers and projects. This hound, however, should've passed.

Product: 2008-09 Upper Deck Masterpieces Hockey
Vital stats: 87-card base set, 67 Canvas Clippings jersey cards, 81 Masterpiece Brushstrokes autographed cards, 20 5x7 base cards, 60 Masterpiece Sketches (1/1s), 87 Masterpiece Matte in five color border parallels
Something good: A nice-looking niche product that will most likely appeal to the well-heeled old-school collector.
Something bad: Not very useful to today's in-person hockey hound
Puckhound's score: 1.5 out of 5 pucks

No comments: