Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A local investment

It's every hockey player's dream -- getting drafted in the first round by an NHL team and earning, through contracts, bonuses and endorsements, your first million dollars.

But, what would you do with it?

Would you be like Tampa Bay's Steven Stamkos and buy a house near some of his elder Lightning teammates and snap up a snazzy BMW to tool around town?

In November's Win this Auto contest, featuring this 5.5-inch by 9-inch team card signed by Stamkos, Hound Central 4.0 asked readers what they would do with their first million. And while there were plenty of good answers to choose from, there was one that stood out above the rest.

Congratulations to contest winner Rmillerfan, who shared his plans for his first million:

"I would spend my money by taking vacation to Colorado to see my cousin who I rarely every see and watch a live game of the Avs (my favorite team).

"Next I would buy a better home. Living with six people and one bathroom doesn't work.

"Whatever I had left I would donate to a local rink, so other kids can get the proper gear to wear when they first start out."

Though donating to charities earns bonus points, I like how Rmillerfan wanted to keep his money local and help some kids get a good start in their careers.

Now, if Rmillerfan would send me an e-mail (my address is on my profile page), I'll be more than happy to send along the card.

My most sincere thanks, too, to the 10 folks who took the time to enter November's contest. Don't forget, too, that December's contest, the fourth of the season, features a puck from Minnesota's Mikko Koivu. All you need to do is tell me your favorite Minnesota hockey story.

1 comment:

Sara said...

congrats to rmillerfan! well if i had a million dollars, I would:

1. Buy a new car for both of my parents (approx. $50,000)

2. Go see a live Stars game ($100)

3. Donate the rest to my local hockey team/youth hockey program/this blog (especially this blog to help finance the great prizes you offer!) (about $300,000 each)